On August 22, 1865 Fisk University was established. This came about six months after the Civil War, two years after the Emancipation Proclamation. It was established by three men – John Ogden, the Reverend Erastus Milo Cravath, and the Reverend Edward P. Smith.
The college was named after General Clinton B. Fisk of the Tennessee Freedmen’s Bureau. The school is located in Nashville, Tennessee. In 1930, Fisk became the first African-American institution to gain accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. It was also the first such institution to be placed on the approved lists of the Association of American Universities (1933) and the American Association of University Women (1948).
Classes began in January of 1966. The ages of the students ranged from seven to seventy with a shared love for learning. Fisk University was incorporated in 1867. The founders of Fisk University work was sponsored by the American Missionary Foundation which later became part of the United Church of Christ, an affiliate of Fisk to this very day.
In 1978, the Fisk campus was designated as a National Historic District in recognition of its architectural, historic, and cultural significance.
Famous faculty and alumni of Fisk University: W.E.B. duBois, Booker T. Washington and Ida B. Well-Barnett
Source: Fisk University History